This recipe comes straight from the 80’s and is a favorite of our father, Vinnie! I happened to come across a few of our mothers recipes and just had to give this one a try! I know what you are thinking- sweet chili? Like the yummy sauce I dip egg rolls in? No, I’m talking SWEET- cranberry sauce – and actual chili. Hormel chili. I know its a strange concept! But trust the process! My boyfriend and I agree it tastes like a sloppy joe meets a meatball? You have to give it a try!
- 3/4 Cup Bread Crumbs- Plus 1/4 Cup to Roll Meatballs in
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- 1 Tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Oil
- 1 Can Hormel Chili (no beans)
- 1 Can Cranberry Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a mixing bowl add Hormel chili and cranberry sauce. Mix with a whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Combine breadcrumbs, milk, egg, ground beef and seasonings in a large bowl. Mix until well combined. (Working with your hands is best!)
- Shape the beef mixture into 1.5 inch meatballs.
- Heat oil in a thick sauce pan over medium to high.
- Place meatballs into pan allowing for space between working in batches.
- Gently move the meatballs around to brown all sides.
- Pan fry for 6-8 minutes until brown and crisp on all sides.
- Remove each meatball from the pan when ready.
- Once cool enough to touch, roll each meatball in the remaining breadcrumbs.
- Place half of the sauce mixture in bottom of casserole dish. Add meatballs and cover with remaining sauce.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve on potato rolls or over a white rice. They are good on their own as well!